Monday 18 July 2011

macaroons & pink champagne

I have always loved the look of cakes and sweets, there's something about cute, colourful looking food that just gets me every time. And french macaroons are no exception. While I was holidaying in Paris over Christmas, there were so many amazing cakes and pastries in every cafe, bakery and restaurant we passed, and one that always managed to catch my attention were the macaroons. And how could they not? They epitomise cute, sweet food. And just when I thought I had seen every possible colour, I would see a new type that I hadn't seen before. 

They had me hooked.

Despite my secret love for macaroons, I had never actually tried to make them before so last weekend I decided it was finally time. Now, they turned out nowhere near how I wanted them to look. They weren't brightly coloured, they weren't big and fluffy like they were in the picture, and I really didn't like the filling. 
 

 

But I guess you have to start somewhere and it also gave me a good excuse to use my camera and practice photographing food, which is another thing I haven't really done before. I also used it as an excuse to open a bottle of pink champagne... for photography purposes of course.

My final verdict: I really enjoyed working out how to position the macaroons so they photographed well... and drinking the pink champagne. As for the macaroons, well, I think I'll need to try a different recipe one day.  

In the meantime, we have quite a few macaroons left over.


No comments:

Post a Comment